APA: Healthcare Action Team
Arvadans For Progressive Action
- This event has passed.
APA: Healthcare Action Team
August 12, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 10:00 am MDT
Healthcare Action Team: Future Focus
What areas of Healthcare reform are especially important to our APA members? Where and how should we focus?
- Medicare privatization
- Abortion rights
- COVID recovery
- Cost of Health Care
- Privatization of doctors/clinics/mental health/hospitals for profit
- Other topics?
Draft Healthcare Bill: Ballot Measure?
The Legislature will refer to the November 2023 ballot a measure to authorize the creation of an enterprise to pay for our health care in Colorado that will build on the following essential criteria:
- It shall provide comprehensive benefits for medically necessary care, including dental, hearing, vision, and mental health.
- It shall provide home care and long-term care at least at the level of coverage currently available to Medicaid-eligible persons in Colorado.
- Health care decisions shall be made by patients and their health care providers.
- Patients shall have free choice among qualified providers.
- To address health care disparities, it shall cover all Colorado residents.
- The system and the cost of care shall be funded by premiums based on ability to pay.
- Health care shall be pre-paid by premiums, with no deductibles or copays that create barriers to care.
- The agency shall ensure fair drug and hospital prices as well as fair payment to providers.
- It shall be a publicly administered nonprofit enterprise and the sole agency paying for Colorado’s health care costs.
- To avoid profiteering, there shall be no middlemen with the incentives and power to limit benefits or impose other barriers to care.
Action Item Discussion for the Healthcare Bill
- Will you reach out to others you know to support these essential efforts?
- Seek out and educate legislators to be co-sponsors / supporters – Contact Jim Potter JamesRaymondPotter@gmail.com
- Participate in Grassroots Actions – Contact Elaine Branjord email@example.com
- Volunteer to help with Social Media – Contact Patricia Rice firstname.lastname@example.org
Accountable Care Organization is another attempt to privatize Medicare
See page 113 on the Medicare & You 2022 book for more information. It is a hybrid – not a Medicare Advantage plan – a group of doctors, hospitals, and other providers to give more integrated care. Beware, though! This is another attempt to privatize Medicare.
The Biden administration is expanding a Trump scheme that is forcing hundreds of thousands of seniors onto for-profit health plans.
Additional Actions and Articles:
- Sign COUHCF petition! https://secure.everyaction.com/tygqPo3kz0-wuiLLqg8ltw2
- Check out How Coloradans Feel about Affordability and Healthcare Reform
- Key finding: Coloradans want big, fundamental changes from the government on healthcare
Next APA Healthcare Action Team meeting on Sept 9, 2022
Here’s how to join:
Join Zoom Meeting