Human Rights Action Team
Our Human Rights Action Team is focused on supporting these issues:
- Educate ourselves and our community about human rights issues at the local, state, national, and international levels.
- Advocate for policies that protect human rights.
- Identify candidates who commit to protecting human rights.
- These basic rights include, but are not limited to:
- Undocumented Immigrant rights to legal representation, freedom from abuse, and a path to citizenship
- Refugee rights to claim asylum, freedom from abuse and family separation, and legal representation
- Freedom from discrimination based on religion (i.e., Muslim ban)
- LGBTQ rights, including protecting children from conversion therapy
- Women’s reproductive rights
- Racial justice, including freedom from police harassment
- Voting rights that make voting easier and more accessible for everyone
- The right to a quality public education regardless of socioeconomic status
- Students rights to a safe school environment free from gun violence
- All of our rights to live in a country free from gun violence
- The rights of the disabled to live as freely as possible
“We declare that human rights are for all of us, all the time: whoever we are and wherever we are from; no matter our class, our opinions, our sexual orientation.” – Former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
“Freedom means the supremacy of human rights everywhere. Our support goes to those who struggle to gain those rights or keep them. Our strength is our unity of purpose. To that high concept there can be no end save victory.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt